how to determain those no longer required packages

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Aug 29 21:04:30 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 07:21:30AM +0800, Ray Chen wrote:
> 在 2009-08-29六的 17:32 +0300,Muayyad AlSadi写道:
> > warning: leaves in package-cleanup or remove-with-leaves could be your
> > preferred application because it's a leaf [ie. no installed package
> > depends on it, eg. pidgin or uget]

> > Yum does not trace if some package is installed per user request or
> > pulled for dependency

> yes, that's the question. seems like yum doesn't have the feature
> like 'isAutoRemovable' in APT. I think this feature is good for
> users, hope yum developers can support this feature, or make
> 'package-cleanup --leaves' and 'remove-with-leaves' plugin more
> stable.

I don't think apt traces whether a packages was a pulled in manually
or automatically, does it? If so where does it store that information?
And if that information were from invokations of apt-get only
(e.g. stored under /var/*/apt) then it would miss yum, yumex,
PackageKit, smart etc. interactions.

But it would be a usefull feature for yum probably requiring an origin
field in the rpmdb to remember whether the user or the system pulled
in the package.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net