Proposed F13 feature: drop separate updates repository

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Dec 2 18:05:24 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 11:06 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:

> so it's certainly a technical possibility.  It does have implications
> though.  Off the top of my head, I can think of:
>
> 1) Composing a new everything tree for updates would lead to larger
> compose times.  That could possibly mean that getting updates out would
> take > 1 day per 'push'.  We've been trying to improve updates push
> times so it would be a bit detrimental to that goal.
>
> 2) There might be GPL compliance issues
>
> 3) You would still need an 'updates-testing' repository given that this
> is a supposedly stable release.  So there is still going to be at least
> one additional repo regardless.

4) makes it much harder to recover from broken updates by simply pulling
in the original release version of the package. Yes, the correct fix to
this is not to ship broken updates, but we _do_ ship broken updates, and
at least people have this option available currently. (And we have 'yum
downgrade' which mostly automates the procedure if you're lucky.)

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey