Re: Proposed F13 feature: drop separate updates repository

On 12/02/2009 06:05 PM, James Antill wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 17:46 -0500, Peter Jones wrote:
>> so that every directory has about the same number of things.
>
>  This should be fairly easy to code, but has a big downside:
>
>  Packages will move directories.
>
>         1. This will upset yum (old repo. MD == no packages download).
>         2. This might upset mirrors.
>         3. This will probably upset users:
>                 i. URLs will only be safe until the next mash, they
>                 won't even be able to bookmark <prefix>/y if they just
>                 want to see yum each time.
>                 ii. Users have to look/parse the directory layout each
>                 time they visit to see what "blah" is.

Yeah. Seth makes a good point - first letter is such vast improvement that
we probably don't need to worry about doing better - at least for now.

--
        Peter

I'd like to start a religion. That's where the money is.
		-- L. Ron Hubbard to Lloyd Eshbach, in 1949;
			quoted by Eshbach in _Over My Shoulder_.