Re: Proposed F13 feature: drop separate updates repository

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 17:58:24 -0500,
 Seth Vidal <skvidal fedoraproject org> wrote:

I tested it on our backend to be sure. getting the complete pkglist
goes from taking 5 minutes to take 30s.

yes, I said 5 minutes.

Have you tried any of the tunning knobs to have the directory cache be
alotted more space or given higher priority? For example:

vfs_cache_pressure

Controls the tendency of the kernel to reclaim the memory which is used for
caching of directory and inode objects.

At the default value of vfs_cache_pressure=100 the kernel will attempt to
reclaim dentries and inodes at a "fair" rate with respect to pagecache and
swapcache reclaim.  Decreasing vfs_cache_pressure causes the kernel to prefer
to retain dentry and inode caches.  Increasing vfs_cache_pressure beyond 100
causes the kernel to prefer to reclaim dentries and inodes.

Not tried that - worth giving it a shot - but it still won't help the 'holy crap there are 15K items on this webpage and it won't render' problem.

-sv