Re: Proposed F13 feature: drop separate updates repository

On Thu, 3 Dec 2009, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

On 12/02/2009 07:09 PM, Seth Vidal wrote:

the merger of repos is already happening at the yum layer.

On the client's side - With a combined Everything+updates, this would happen on the server side.

It's one of the aspects which made me said "a combined Everything+updates shifts costs from client to server".

except they wouldn't be merged on the server side -it would just be additive.

We wouldn't be talking about removing the original GA set - just adding updated pkgs into the path. So you'd still have the number of pkgs -just all in one repo, that you have to download all of the metadata for all of the more often, despite that 15K of them don't CHANGE.

this is why it is less good for our users.

-sv