Upstart 0.6.3 coming to a rawhide near you

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Fri Dec 4 21:10:34 UTC 2009

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Upstart0.6.0

was approved at today's FESCo meeting. We hope to land this in the next
week or so.

What this means for you (for very specific values of you):

If you own any of the following packages, you have upstart job files that
will need modified for any needed format changes, and the new location.

* vpnc			rjones
* ConsoleKit		mccann
* clamav		ensc
* dhcp-forwarder	ensc
* hdapsd		ttorcz
* ip-sentinel		ensc
* milter-greylist	ensc
* olpc-utils		pbrobinson
* tor			ensc

We're willing to do the legwork for you, or you can do the update yourself
once we land 0.6.x; give us a reply with which you'd prefer. See the
feature page for more details on the changes required.

What this means for you (for very general values of you):

Once it lands, it's going to be a bit of a bumpy first yum upgrade. You will
likely have to reboot with 'reboot -f', as the job formats have changed
slightly, and the communication with init(8) has changed. We can investigate
adding some compat code to ease this, if people would really prefer.

Once you reboot, things should work pretty much the same.

Obvious FAQ:

Q: Should we port our SysV scripts to native upstart scripts?

A: No, not at this time.

Questions? Comments?

Bill