Re: Upstart 0.6.3 coming to a rawhide near you

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Bill Nottingham <notting redhat com> wrote:
Miroslav Lichvar (mlichvar redhat com) said:
> On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 04:10:34PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Upstart0.6.0
>
> The features highlight list has:
>   Communication with the init daemon over D-Bus.
>
> > Questions? Comments?
>
> Does this mean that running dbus will be required to reboot/shutdown
> the system?

No. The init daemon speaks the dbus protocol, and can be communicated
with over the system daemon. But it can also be talked to directly.

Bill

Why aren't the sysVinit scripts being ported over to native upstart scripts? I thought the reason why upstart was adopted was to be able to utilize the benefits of native upstart scripts (event based daemon handling, etc.)?