Help wanted with dist-cvs to git conversion

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Fri Dec 11 05:12:46 UTC 2009

On Thu, 10 Dec 2009, Jesse Keating wrote:

> I'm currently playing with a utility called parsecvs to convert our cvs
> stuff into git.  This utility can also translate the raw usernames that
> CVS has into more useful names+email addresses that you'd typically get
> out of git.  But to make this conversion it needs a translation file.
>
> It would be really helpful if somebody could generate a file for me that
> is in the format of:

> eg:
>
> jkeating=Jesse Keating <jkeating at fedoraproject.org>
> notting=Bill Nottingham <notting at fedoraproject.org>
>
> For the initial testing, just giving every user a @feodraproject.org
> domain would be sufficient, however we should have a discussion about
> whether to use this email address or to use the user's real email
> address.

I just did this on fedorapeople.org not against fas but I suspect that's
the same set of users.

#!/usr/bin/python -tt

import pwd

for pw in pwd.getpwall():
     if pw.pw_uid < 10000:
         continue
     msg='%s=%s <%s at fedoraproject.org>' % (pw.pw_name, pw.pw_gecos,
                                           pw.pw_name)
     print msg

the file with these contents is in my homedir on fedorapeople.org as:
wacky-list-for-git

if you want me to do it directly talking to fas I'll do it in the morning.
-sv