Re: What is public/private fork? - Criteria packaging in fedora

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 16:14:40 +0530, Rahul wrote:

> On 12/11/2009 03:56 PM, Florian Festi wrote:
> > Without knowing the history:
> >
> > Best solution would be to ask former upstream for permission to continue
> > the project under its original name
>
> That was already denied
>
> https://lists.feep.net:8080/pipermail/libtar/2009-May/000259.html

Don't call it denial, though, because libtar is licensed under terms
similar to MIT/BSD (with no advertising clause) [1]. This alone gives many
permissions. See the license text for the details.

The real reason not to use the "libtar" namespace for a fork are
others. See my comment to the review request.

[1] Dunno whether this license matches any on Fedora's list of licenses.