Re: x86-64 on i386 (was Re: Promoting i386 version over x86_64?)

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

Of course, this is an extreme case,

It isn't that extreme - pointers can make up a significant component of data-structures. E.g. any programme that has to store many instances of small amounts of data, the pointer size can have a big impact on memory usage. If the data is heavily inter-linked, even more so.

Whether that's the case for most applications, I do not know however. It would though be interesting for someone to go measure this, especially in the aggregate.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma	paul jakma org	Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: