Re: packages requiring me to reboot...

On 12/15/2009 09:54 AM, Seth Vidal wrote:

Does gdm entirely restart when you logout? I don't believe so. I suspect
you get the same result by killing X then going back to that runlevel
but for many many many users a reboot is going to be less error-prone.

Isn't there gdm-restart for that purpose? I don't really know, but I'm just confused as to why a program that lets me login requires a reboot...

I *really* don't want to sound whiny or anything like that, or be one of those that compare us to windows... but one of my favorite things from years ago was that I only had to reboot with a new kernel. Now I feel like I reboot every update. I mean, even the ibus stuff was stating I needed a reboot. As far as I know that is used for alternative language input, which I don't use, fair enough it doesn't know that. But what about it needs a reboot?

I'm also curious why gdm is still running once I've logged in. I see the user-switch stuff but I'm just wondering. I mean rebooting isn't the end of the world but man it sure happens a lot now