Re: dist-git proof of concept phase 1 complete

On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 09:49 +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> Why not put everything in a single git repository?

The cost to clone that repo would be enormous.  The kernel alone is 57M
once cloned, 44 megs across the wire.

> Also git remote branches are quite painful, requiring non-obvious
> changes to .git/config or hard to use commands.  I'd rather do this
> once (for an everything-in-one-repository model) than for every single
> package I maintain.

Why would you have to do anything special?  Our helper script can check
things out for you in a way that git pull/push/whatever does the right
thing by tracking the upstream branch.  You shouldn't have to touch
your .git/config at all.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- FreedomĀ² is a feature!