Re: packages requiring me to reboot...

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, Richard Hughes wrote:

2009/12/15 Seth Vidal <skvidal fedoraproject org>:
Now, having said that - how would you feel if the updater stopped you before
it ran and said "you're running an app I'm trying to update, please close
the app so I can update it". Would that be a pain or ok?

That's exactly the PackageKit functionality I've added for packages
like firefox, that explode internally when they get updated. The trick
it to offer to close them down, and bring them back when done.

this is what colin and I talked about at fudcon in toronto. I just added some code to yum so it returns to you a list of all pkgs on the system that own a file that is currently open/used in a running process.

should make that part of your lookup easier.

YumBase.rpmdb.return_running_packages()

-sv