x86-64 on i386 (was Re: Promoting i386 version over x86_64?)

Paul Jakma paul at dishone.st
Wed Dec 16 00:35:14 UTC 2009

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Paul Jakma wrote:

> My data-point is that I ran an x86-64 kernel on i386 F10 for a few
> months until I got tired of yum not being able to update kernel
> packages. The kernel side apparently works fine AFAICT. The .1% is
> yum.

Oh, I don't quite remember the details, but I think libvirt also gets
a bit confused when its 32bit and the kernel is 64.

Another data-point is that I've used and developed on other 32/64
x86-64 systems for a number of years and those manage it just fine.

It really shouldn't be hard, if you decide its worth supporting.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma	paul at jakma.org	Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: