[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: x86-64 on i386 (was Re: Promoting i386 version over x86_64?)





On Wed, 16 Dec 2009, Matthew Garrett wrote:

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 12:30:11AM +0000, Paul Jakma wrote:
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009, Matthew Garrett wrote:

And the remaining 0.1% of the work is probably the other 99.9% of the
time. I think you massively underestimate the number of corner cases
present in an utterly untested configuration.

My data-point is that I ran an x86-64 kernel on i386 F10 for a few
months until I got tired of yum not being able to update kernel
packages. The kernel side apparently works fine AFAICT. The .1% is yum.

"It works for me" is a poor standard of support.


and if running an x86_64 kernel on an i386 install is something we want to do then we can make some changes to make that work. But complaining that yum doesn't work for something it was never designed to work for is a bit silly.

-sv

"My this camel is not a very fast swimmer."



[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]