packages requiring me to reboot...

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Wed Dec 16 17:36:09 UTC 2009

On 12/16/2009 10:28 AM, Seth Vidal wrote:

>>> No.
>>
>> The reason for this is that PKs target audience is not someone like
>> me, and as such no need to provide different messages per package?
>
> No, the reason for this is there is not more to go on, yet. I would love
> to require more detailed info on the update including if it is an
> important/trivial/security/packaging/upstream-update or what not fix.
>

> Hands are needed to help advance this. Care to lend one?

Yes. I'm attempting to become more involved. I've submitted my first
package, and am going through the review process. That doesn't help in
this particular case, but I am not complaining for the sake of
complaining. I want to help. I fully realize what I use daily for work
is the result of many people like you who build this stuff. Thus my
desire to become part of it.

What can I do here?

> the post scripts do what is sensible, on many occasions restarting the
> daemon will not ensure that the new sw is in use and in other occasions
> there is no graceful way to restart.
>
> so your options are:
>
> 1. don't restart but ask the user to
> 2. restart and drop whatever connections are active.
>
> neither are great.

For sure.