Re: packages requiring me to reboot...

Am 2009-12-17 10:36, schrieb Otto Haliburton:

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-devel-list-bounces redhat com [mailto:fedora-devel-list-
bounces redhat com] On Behalf Of nodata
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2009 01:01
To: Development discussions related to Fedora
Subject: Re: packages requiring me to reboot...

Am 2009-12-17 00:08, schrieb Jeff Spaleta:
On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Gregory Maxwell<gmaxwell gmail com>
wrote:
Yes- users with more expertise are more likely to complain about this,
but thats not reason to dismiss the issue. If there were truly a
disconnect here betweens the needs of the novices and those of the
expert users you could argue favouring the novices, but that just
isn't applicable here.

Uhm. am I missing something. Aren't we talking about reboot requests
that PK is spawning and I can choose to cancel in the UI interaction
because I know better instead of mandatory reboots?

-jef

No, we're talking about requiring fewer reboots for normal users.

Prompting a user like this teaches them to ignore recommendations. This
isn't a good thing.

there are no mandatory reboots in PackageKit, you are notified what packages
will cause a request to reboot and you can exit the process without
rebooting!!!!!!  Or you can remove the packages from the update processes
and install when convenient for you.

yep. but all of that assumes I know what I am doing, and the people that this is aimed at don't. windows requires fewer reboots now.