Re: packages requiring me to reboot...

On 12/17/2009 01:50 PM, nodata wrote:

yep. but all of that assumes I know what I am doing, and the people that
this is aimed at don't. windows requires fewer reboots now.

+1, and remember that they have an advantage right off the bat:

- much fewer subsystems (Windows and a couple of tiny apps, vs. Linux's entire universe of applications)

- patch model that pushes large patch sets at long intervals rather than frequent fine-grained patches.

I think Linux has to have a better heuristic as to when a reboot is necessary. Actually, any event that breaks the user's work flow is as bad: X crash/logoff is as disruptive as a reboot, unless we had a way to restore the application state in the way Firefox or Emacs or OpenOffice recover from crashes (restarting, opening the windows where they were and recovering the content).