Re: dist-git proof of concept phase 2 ready for testing

Jesse Keating wrote:
> We definitely want to allow topic branches pushed to the main repo.  I
> think we'll have to agree on a namespace to use for these, perhaps
> following the dist-cvs example and call them private-*

What about build branches? Let's say you have these committed to the F-12
branch:
foo-1.0-1.fc12
foo-1.0-2.fc12
foo-1.0-3.fc12
foo-1.1-1.fc12
foo-1.1-2.fc12

Now you see 1.1 is not ready to be queued as a Bodhi update yet (you may or
may not have it built for dist-f12-updates-candidate, it doesn't matter), so
you'd like to branch from foo-1.0-3.fc12 and create these:
foo-1.0-3.fc12.1
foo-1.0-3.fc12.2
…
or maybe these:
foo-1.0-4.fc12
foo-1.0-5.fc12
…
Either way, you want to branch from an old revision, create new ones in the
branch, and, what's different from a private topic branch, build the
packages from the branch for dist-f12-updates-candidate and eventually queue
them in Bodhi.

What's the best way to handle this?

Right now, in CVS, you can create a CVS branch within the F-12 branch as
long as you manage to create a branch name which passes validation and build
from there. (AFAIK, private-* branches can be abused for builds, and it's
also possible to create branches with names which look like build tags,
which also get through validation.)

        Kevin Kofler