Re: dist-git help wanted: write me a regex!

On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 01:53:42 -0500, Bruno Wolff III <bruno wolff to> wrote:

/((Mon|Tues?|Wed|Thu(rs?)?|Fri|Sat|Sun)\s+(Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|June?|July?|Aug|Sep|Oct|Nov|Dec)\s+[0-3]?[0-9]\s+(19|20)[0-9][0-9]\s+[A-Za-z0-9\s]+<[^\s ]+@[^\s@>]+>\s+2.[4-6].[0-9.-]+\s*)/
I don't think this will catch a period in the comment part of the email
address (as people often do after initials). Also if anyone is using hyphenated names, I don't think those will get picked up. Since those entries are utf-8, you need to worry about nonascii letters in the name. I am not sure how those
collate compared to ascii letters, but it might be safer to use [^<]+
(instead of [A-Za-z0-9\s]+)

You are correct.  Here's the improved version:
/((Mon|Tues?|Wed|Thu(rs?)?|Fri|Sat|Sun)\s+(Jan|Feb|Mar|Apr|May|June?|July?|Aug|Sep|Oct|Nov|Dec)\s+[0-3]?[0-9]\s+(19|20)[0-9][0-9]\s+[^<]+<[^\s ]+@[^\s@>]+>\s+2.[4-6].[0-9.-]+\s*)/

--
James Cassell