packaging a static library

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Dec 30 22:01:43 UTC 2009

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> FWIW, I'm pretty sure this is not against current Fedora policies,
> assuming that the libtommath maintainer signs off on it and there is no
> conflict between the two packages.

I guess it's indeed not against the letter of the policies, it's still
against their spirit though. Compat packages make sense where they're
required for technical or licensing reasons (the latter case being
particularly annoying though). In this case, they're neither. And our
objectives are to ship the latest software, not an old version just because
it went through some sort of formal audit and/or certification.

        Kevin Kofler