Maybe OT for this list: Programming languages for Fedora?

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Sun Feb 1 01:28:10 UTC 2009

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 17:45:31 +0000, Frank Murphy <frankly3d at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> >> What languages, would be good to learn re. Fedora?
> >> (Have started Java currently, on the curriculum)
> >>
> >> What extra(s) would be useful?
> >
> > For what purposes?
>
> For helping with packaging\ bringing new stuff in\ crating gui(s) where
> the need arises, bug fixing (as distinct from just reporting)

Python is most common in new projects these days, and quite a bit
of Fedora infrastructure is already written in Python (e.g. Anaconda).

Java is nice, but WORA is unbearable. So it's rare. I think the only
two useful applications we ship are Azureus and RSSowl, and neither
is used by Fedora to do Fedora things.

-- Pete