Validity of the CD size limit nowadays [Re: Features/ArchitectureSupport - changing what we build for]

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 17:09:40 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, February 01 2009, drago01 said:

>> > So we're leaving the developing world to Ubuntu now?
>>
>> They can/have to use the x86 livecd anyway for their older system.
>> We are talking about moving the x86_64 live spin to a DVD.
>
> The problem then is that there are more configs to maintain.

Sure but how much extra work does this add? We can reuse the same
kickstart files and add/remove packages where it makes sense.
As for testing both need to be tested anyway.

>And in
> point of fact, the x86_64 images were larger than CD-sized for a few
> releases and there were more than a handful of complaints from people
> wanting to use them on x86_64 boxes with only CD drives.

Any pointers to those complains ? This shouldn't be an issue for the
majority of x86_64 boxes (and no I don't talk about boxes without
optical drives).
If there are same rare cases with such hardware they still have the
liveusb option if they don't want to buy a dvd drive/burner.