Moblin 2 and Fedora

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Feb 2 19:42:20 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 11:35 -0800, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>  for example we took the entire toolchain from SuSE.
>
> this is not a judgment about the Fedora toolchain. Just we decided on
> using the SuSE one. **This not an "instead of"**.
>
> Your question only makes sense if you have the idea that we're doing a
> modified Fedora. We do not have that goal or idea. I realize there was
> some press earlier that implied that, but don't believe everything the
> press says.
>
> In addition to the fedora or suse originated packages there are many
> packages that aren't from either of them, and I expect this to
> grow not shrink....
>

> So I would like to really ask you and others to stop thinking of Moblin
> as "Fedora with changes" and measure everything against that. I realize
> it's easy to think that, and a lot of things just won't make sense in
> that mindset.

I think I'm just trying to wrap my head around "We're going to use some
bits from Fedora, and some bits from SuSE, with no real reason why, and
we just hope they'll work together.  Should be fun!"

If I were setting out to make a new OS and I was going to borrow bits
from folks, I'd try to single source all my bits possible to reduce any
self inflicted integration issues.  I wouldn't try to bolt together
Chevy parts, Honda parts, and forge some parts on my own, that just
doesn't seem like fun.

Look, I"m happy that we're able to provide some bits to you, that's one
of the reasons why we are here.  But there really must be a decision
factor somewhere that would explain why some bits are ours, and some
bits are others, and I'd like to know what that is, so that the next
group that comes along doesn't have to look beyond what Fedora offers
when they want to build their own OS.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!