Fedora Project, give me 20 Million Euros or Free EDA software

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Feb 4 22:57:59 UTC 2009

Le mercredi 04 février 2009 à 16:45 -0600, Matthew Woehlke a écrit :
> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> I didn't say we shouldn't "engage" improved visibility of Free content,
> I said we should do it in a way that makes sense. That means sensible
> tools to browse content (pk does NOT cut it for visual media, even worse
> with yum). And I fail to see what benefit it is to throw a music
> collection into the same repository as compiled glibc.
>
> I'd rather see even fonts in a separate repo, as text descriptions are
> not very meaningful to me deciding if I want to install a particular
> font or not. (Plus it would make it easier to find Free fonts...)

Sure, take the time to make the experiment, remove fonts, remove music,
remove themes, remove images, and see how much stuff is still working or
useful in your nice "software only" repository.

Most people understand that part.

What they usually don't is that adding more "non-software" elements (in
addition to those we already have to because a lot of things would
bloody not work without them), would have additionnal synergistic
effects for everyone involved.

PS Fonts can be compiled and include an instruction langage. Which is
complex enough some of its bits got patented. Looks like software to me.

PPS Text without screenshots is not too useful to describe pure software
package for the average user either

--
Nicolas Mailhot