DVD (video) and Fedora

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Feb 5 01:44:12 UTC 2009

King InuYasha wrote:
> Apparently, Fedora DOES expect that... Or somehow magically play DVDs in
> Ogg formats.
>
> I have two things against Ogg formats:
> 1) Not well used outside purist communities
> 2) Theora has horrible quality compared to other video codecs.
>
> I do though, like Ogg Vorbis and use it regularly.

1) Firefox, Epiphany, Opera etc will play Theora by default in their
next major release. Native video support without the need for plugins is
  big deal and will push more people to generate that type of content

2) Red Hat via Monty is working on improving the quality.

http://web.mit.edu/xiphmont/Public/theora/demo.html

For a lot of web content, it is already good enough. Anything more and
we will run into patent issues again.

Rahul