RFC: Disabling blinking cursor by default

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Thu Feb 5 13:38:34 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 23:10 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> It is - System/Preferences/Hardware(?)/Keyboard(!)/General/ . FWIW:
>
> * Tue Feb 3  2009 Matthew Garrett <mjg at redhat.com> - 2.24.1-9
> - Default to a non-blinking cursor
>
> --
> Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org

With this tip, I just tried it.  This will affect both GTK windows as
well as gnome-terminal, it seems.  I suggest people actually try it and
see how much it impacts you.  What I am left with, after disabling the
blinking, is the cursor in the "blink-on" state, for what it's worth.

Can we at least try it?  I will, and I'll probably forget that it used
to blink after a day or so (or even a few hours).

I'm rather ambivalent at the moment, but I believe if it's something
that can quantitatively reduce power consumption, even if only a little
bit, it's worth trying (i.e., just ourselves for now).  I hope that's
not flame-worthy.

Basil Mohamed Gohar
abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
www.basilgohar.com