Validity of the CD size limit nowadays [Re: Features/ArchitectureSupport - changing what we build for]

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Fri Feb 6 00:07:48 UTC 2009

> Callum Lerwick (seg at haxxed.com) said:
> > > Well for x86_64 we can/should do this.
> > > Good luck on finding a x86_64 computer/laptop without a DVD drive.
> >
> > The problem isn't DVD readers, it's DVD writers. I sure don't own any,
> > and I have two x86-64 machines. I've had enough problems with CDRs being
> > unreliable, somehow I don't think higher density is going to help any. I
> > feel my money is better spent on more HDs and flash drives.
>
> But 'flash drives' solves the DVD size isse for you.

Well, the biggest USB stick I have at the moment is 1gb, but this thread
provided an excuse to order me an 8gb. I'm ready now. :) But keep in
mind the FAT 4gb-1b limit. I'd happily format it NTFS if we could boot
LiveUSB from NTFS. syslinux doesn't support this, but patches for GRUB
apparently exist:

http://www.geocities.com/lode_leroy/grubinstall/

And syslinux upstream is at least open to NTFS support:

http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2007-April/008303.html

But I can't find any sign of progress on it.

We're going to need this eventually. As flash drives get bigger, FAT
becomes more and more undesirable.