Fedora EOL Security Updates

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Sat Feb 7 18:04:41 UTC 2009

Scott Williams <vwfoxguru at gmail.com> writes:

> Good evening list,
>
> I run the #Fedora-EOL channel and would like to get a group together
> to work on backporting only security patches to EOL versions.  It will
> be based on Production 3 of the Red Hat Enterprise life cycle
> (http://www.redhat.com/security/updates/errata/).  To summarize it,
> only security patches with no intent to update functionality or add
> hardware support for older versions.  Updates would likely come in
> light monthly spurts, similar to EPEL's release cycle.
>
> I know this has been talked about in length here about whether or not
> this should be done, but I'm interested in organizing community
> members who are interested to start working on this.
>
> We would need two things to get started:
>
> #1  Hosting.  I have time but not money.  We would need to have a
> common place to collaborate on work and a place for repos.
>
> #2  Contributors.  Anyone who is interested in helping, even if they
> don't have much time to spare.
>

> I'm usually around in #Fedora-EOL.  If I'm idling, feel free to leave
> me a message, and I'll get back in contact with you as soon as I can.
>
> Thanks,
> Scott (vwbusguy)

How is this going to be different than the destined for failure Fedora
Legacy project?

You have experience and history working against you here. Remember what
they say about forgetting history...just in case you forgot, from:

  http://www.fedoralegacy.org/

Q. Why is the FedoraLegacy project shutting down?
A. A combination of reasons:

    * A lack of community members who actually contributed to patches,
      testing, deployment, etc.
    * A lack of funding
    * A decreasing amount of interest
    * Interest/Discussion about extending the Fedora Core lifetime

Without a substantial commitment in terms of bodies and time, you will
at best be in a position to update only a subset of packages. What good
is that and how will that compare to the expectations that you are
trying to set?

I don't understand why people keep wanting to turn Fedora into something
that it is not.

If people want long term support, use Ubuntu LTS, RHEL or CentOS. It is
an intrinsic paradox to want Fedora to be both a bleeding edge
distribution AND have long term support for old releases. There are only
so many resources to go around.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz