Fedora 11 Release Notes Update

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Feb 10 17:42:11 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:37:49AM -0500, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> Adjust the width of the browser window to suit your preferred reading
> width.  Don't force upon users one particular format.

Assuming you are human (hey, on the internet no one knows you're a
dog!) then it's a well-known fact in typographical circles that it is
uncomfortable to read lines longer than a certain width.

I cannot find a good online reference for this, but there are complex
tables showing the best width for readability for various font sizes
in "The Elements of Typographic Style" by Robert Bringhurst:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elements-Typographic-Style-Robert-Bringhurst/dp/0881792063

So setting a maximum width of around 66 ems is reasonable for text
meant to be read comfortably by humans.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top