[RFC] disable OSS sound support

oget.fedora oget.fedora at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 15:15:46 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 4:22 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Warren Togami wrote:
>> 1) Keep the OSS kernel modules.
>> 2) alsa-plugins-pulseaudio ships /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-oss-sound,
>> thereby preventing loading of these kernel modules and interfering with
>> pulseaudio daemon.
>> 3) If the user wants to use an OSS sound application they can use padsp
>> manually.
>> 4) Native OSS comes back if the user uninstalls alsa-plugins-pulseaudio,
>> which also makes it so nothing uses pulseaudio for sound output.
>
> The problem with that is that they will continue saying "PulseAudio broke my
> apps". If we just remove OSS sound support entirely, they won't have a
> reason to blame PulseAudio anymore.

Speaking just for myself, PulseAudio did not work for me until F-10.
Now it works, but only with the "tsched=0" hack (I did not report
anything because I didn't care much about PulseAudio).
Thus killing the good old loyal OSS in favor of PulseAudio does not
sound right to me. Maybe we should wait a little longer for pulseaudio
to mature.

Orcan