Power Management

brad longo Bl0ngo067 at aim.com
Tue Feb 17 00:02:52 UTC 2009

As I'm sure most of you know, leaving your laptop plugged in and
charging with a full battery charge is harmful for the battery.  I have
been trying to see if Fedora's power management tool has something built
in so that when the battery reaches full charge, it will then discharge
to lets say around 95% before beginning to charge again.  Friends of
mine with the same laptop use such measures except they are running
windows.  However, based on the fact I did not see any documentation
about this, and that my battery charge does not appear to fluctuate at
all once it becomes fully charged (according to the statistics), I'm
guessing no such thing exists in Fedora.  Does anyone have any
information as to whether this safety feature exists in Fedora, or
whether some other measures exist instead?  Basically I'm just wondering
if I need to periodically unplug my laptop to preserve the lifespan of
the battery, which would be annoying.  Also if this is not a feature is
anyone working on developing something like this for Fedora?

--

Brad Longo
North Carolina State University