cron.hourly/daily/weekly/etc. in rawhide

Marcela Maslanova mmaslano at redhat.com
Tue Feb 17 09:00:04 UTC 2009

Mike Chambers wrote:
> I looked in /etc/crontab and it only has instructions now it seems on
> how to setup a crontab.  But even reading the anacrontab man page, I
> can't see where my cron.daily (for example) is set to run at 4:xx ish
> every night.  I do see in /etc/anacrontab about delays and some
> settings.  But guess I don't understand how it works now.
>
> I guess the basic question is, now where do I change what time I want
> cron.daily to run now if not /etc/crontab?

The cron daemon is running every hour anacron, which checks whether run
cron.{daily,weekly,...} now or not. The setting is stored in
/etc/anacrontab where is also possible create random delay. The jobs
should be executed as before for usual user on desktop.

I know on servers people often don't use anacron at all because they
want to run daily jobs in some time range. This could be now also set in
anacrontab. This is discussed here #481775.

I appreciate any feedback.
Regards,
--
Marcela Mašláňová