Fedora 11 Mass Rebuild

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Wed Feb 18 01:42:14 UTC 2009

> > That description of the auto rebuild process makes it sound like the
> > script will take no account of package dependencies, but will just try
> > to rebuild things in a random order.  Please tell us it ain't so.
>
> Ordered rebuilds generally only are necessary when bumping sonames or
> otherwise bootstrapping items.  Given that neither of those apply for
> this rebuild, effort spent trying to order and chain builds would be
> effort wasted.

Er...I might not have thought this through enough but the reason I
brought this up on IRC the other day was that I'm not convinced this
won't be equivalent if you're changing the arch and compiler out
underneath. Where will the i586 versions of those packages be to
bootstrap with? And what will happen when something wants a static
library file to link against?

Jon.