[HELP] Changing source archive in srpm

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Feb 18 21:12:58 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 17:45 +0100, Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) wrote:
> >> Is there something I should take care of concerning timestamps or
> >> other subtleties ?
> >>
> >> Should I mention what I did to the upstream archive in my spec file ?
> >
> > What I've done in the past is to do the above, and place the steps to
> > convert the old tarball into the new, verbatim, in comments near the
> > Source0 tag, with comments as to why, BZ#, etc.
>
> That's what I thought thanks.

When I hit this situation while packaging for MDV, I would include a
short explanation of the problem and the exact sequence of commands
necessary to re-create the tarball (wget foo.tar.gz; tar xvf foo.tar.gz;
rm -f foo/badfile; tar cvzf foo-modified.tar.gz foo/ , for e.g.) as
comments in the spec file, and rename the file (as implied in that
example). Using the same name as upstream for a tarball that is not in
fact the same tarball is, IMHO, potentially misleading.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey