[HELP] Changing source archive in srpm

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Wed Feb 18 22:17:38 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Jon Ciesla <limb at jcomserv.net> wrote:

>> Because of a leagl issue, I have to remove a file from the upstream
>> archive in one of my RPMs [1]
>>
>> 1. extract the upstream archive
>> 2. remove the said file
>> 3. create again an archive with the same name and use it as Source0
>>
>> Is there something I should take care of concerning timestamps or
>> other subtleties ?
>>
>> Should I mention what I did to the upstream archive in my spec file ?
>
> What I've done in the past is to do the above, and place the steps to
> convert the old tarball into the new, verbatim, in comments near the
> Source0 tag, with comments as to why, BZ#, etc.

I need to remove some files from the Asterisk tarballs (one for legal
reasons, the other for size/redundancy issues).  Since this is
something I have to do fairly frequently, I wrote a script to do the
work for me.  It should be fairly easy to adapt my script for another
package's needs.  The script should be included as a source in the
package.

--
Jeff Ollie

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then
I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the
terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve
them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and
unfairness of the universe."

	-- Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5: "A Late Delivery from Avalon"