add a special Provides: to all login manager packages

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Fri Feb 20 00:02:36 UTC 2009

> Just to provide some input to this debate -
>
> Mandriva allows external modules in the official repositories. DKMS is
> used to address the problems Jesse raised. This works pretty well,
> although only after quite a lot of experience and tweaking of the system
> - there were problems associated with it in the past.

DKMS requires you have all the devel tools installed to get the kernel
modules built. This was discarded as an option for fedora for that
reason.

> I can see Kevin's argument, and I don't think Jesse's objections quite
> hold water, because you're missing the class of
> not-vital-but-nice-to-have modules - like, say, a webcam driver. But
> overall, I'm not convinced that it's worth the extra effort of
> maintaining a system (like akmods or dkms) for handling external kernel
> modules. The benefits of allowing non-critical modules not to be the
> kernel team's problem and not to be a roadblock to the kernel itself
> working are real, but probably aren't big enough for the extra work to
> be worth it.

The weirdnesses with handling kernel module updates when you're not
updating the kernel (and/or both) is excruciating. If you want to do
some painful reading look back at the kmod/akmod/kernmod discussion from
a few years ago.

-sv