Latest kernels and sound still not working in F10

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 22:09:43 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 7:40 PM, Simo Sorce <ssorce at redhat.com> wrote:

> I am wondering if something is being done for the alsa problem and lack
> of sound with newer F10 kernels.
>
> I keep upgrading kernels as soon as they come out but I still have to
> revert to 2.6.27.7-134 each time or I get no sound from the sound card
> on my desktop (Creative Labs SB Audigy).
>
> At some point in one of the kernels (170.2.5 ?) I saw some changelog
> about fixing this problem but it seem like it doesn't work at least for
> me.
>
> Is there any work being done to fix it ?

What is fix it? Probably, almost all the most important issues are fixed in
alsa-driver 1.0.19. However, it is impossible to make everybody happy
because the driver
sets the pins statically, and there is always a different card, which does
no fit
in the common template.

I am running three different alsa-drivers 1.0.19 (on three different
computers) hacked to fix some inadequate pin settings. Even if you show the
problem to the developers, it is likely they will say that your BIOS is
broken or the default is adequate, even if it does not provide what it
should, based on what is expected (e.g, based on jack colour convention).

The only solution is these cases is installing alsa modules packaged
separately, because it gives you the ability to try changes without
reinstalling a new kernel.

Nonetheless, external kernel modules are "taboo" in Fedora. Therefore, it is
only only possible to have patience and a lot of faith (or buy a new
hardware).

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ