Status of gconf -> dconf

Ralf Ertzinger fedora at camperquake.de
Tue Feb 24 13:58:38 UTC 2009

Hi.

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:42:57 -0500, Simo Sorce wrote:

> Quite static applications are ok with text file (to a degree, some ).
> But dynamic applications like those running on a desktop have a much
> harder life trying to use text files.

Why, exactly? After all, your XML data has to live somewhere, and I'd
guess it will be a file at the end of the day. So how is setting a value
in an XML structure fundamentally different from writing that value to a file?

And we have a structured file system, we have change notification on files,
we have fine grained ACLs for file systems.

I'm sure there are a lot of things that can be done in XML that would
require hackery to map to a file system, but I am not yet convinced that
these features are absolutely necessary for the problem at hand.