autoconf and epel-5

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 08:08:00 UTC 2009

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 04:36:24 +0100, Kevin wrote:

> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > What people like Toshio and you miss: auto*generated files are
> > (upstream) maintainer generated _sources_
>
> They're not sources, the source is something you start from, not something
> generated.
>
> The definition of source code in the GPL (preferred form for modification)
> also implies that generated files are not source code.

A pointer, please, preferably to GPL 2 and GPL 3.  I consider a source
tarball of a project released under the GPL as "source" in its entirety,
or with the terminology of the GPL 3, the "Corresponding Source".

The upstream publishers are free to exclude any files that _can_ be
"regenerated automatically". That does not imply that any files I can
regenerate [with tools] would be "non-source" files.

--
The Corresponding Source for a work in source code form is that same work.
The Corresponding Source need not include anything that users can