New kernel-doc only sometimes has an issue

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 13:30:28 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 12:35:13PM +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Josh Boyer wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 12:45:25AM -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

>>> Isn't that a problem though?
>>
>> For whom?
>>
>> The kernel-doc package isn't exactly popular.  It's built once per -rc as
>> the amount of change day-to-day is likely very small or near zero.  It's
>> not installed by default (or I don't think it is).
>
> The problem is that when the SRPM for the kernel build that included the
> docs is superseded in the repository by one that doesn't include the
> docs, the kernel-doc package is pruned from the repo at the same time
> and hence is not available to be installed by those that might want it.
> For it to stay in the repo, it would have to originate from a different
> source package than the kernel itself, or more special-casing would have
> to be done in the repo management system.

That is true.  However, it's still available in koji and can be downloaded
from there.  For a package like kernel-doc that seems sufficient to me.

Unless there is a great army of users that avidly download every single
kernel-doc package to figure out what small gramatical errors may have been
fixed from the previous build that I don't know about, I'm failing to see how
this is a big deal at all.

josh