Ready for new RPM version?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sat Feb 28 01:25:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 16:10 -0800, Conrad Meyer wrote:
> On Friday 27 February 2009 04:00:33 pm Conrad Meyer wrote:
> > Keep in mind there are plenty of non-IMAP users nowadays too... Gmail isn't
> > very useful when you get 200+ emails a day, and not everyone is using some
> > sort of IMAP server. In the end I don't think most Fedora developers will
> > want to run on their personal computers (unless they have an extra lying
> > around).
>
> Oops.
>
> s/to run on/to run Rawhide on/

Then why do you think other distributions don't have a problem with
this?

I mean, that's a genuine, not a rhetorical question. What I'm proposing
is not crazy pie-in-the-sky, there are other real distributions that
have been around for a long time that *do* this. Most if not all
developers run the development version of the distro. No-one seems
particularly unhappy with this. I don't see many "oops, I can't help you
because my email is broken" complaints. It just doesn't seem to be a
problem.

(On the flipping email issue - I use Evolution. With an IMAP server. I
think it's been broken, oh, maybe twice in the last five years. I had to
use Thunderbird for a couple of days. I survived. And yes, Mandriva
development branch goes through GNOME's unstable releases, so I ran Evo
2.19, 2.21, 2.23, 2.25 etc etc etc. It just doesn't totally break as
much as people seem to be claiming, in my experience.)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey