vim syntax file packaging

iarnell iarnell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 08:34:11 UTC 2009

2009/1/1 Nikolay Vladimirov <nikolay at vladimiroff.com>

> Hi!
>
> I was wondering if there is a proper way of packaging vim syntax
> files.
> When I did ' yum whatprovides \*.vim ' I saw 4 ways of doing this:
>
> 1) Add the files to /usr/share/vim/vim71/ftdetect/ and
> /usr/share/vim/vim71/ftplugin/. One package even provides a
> subpackage only for the vim syntax. I think this is done because the
> subpackage can require vim. which is reasonable if you install a vim
> syntax file.
> 2) Add them in /usr/share/doc/packagename
> 3) Add them in /usr/share/packagename
> 4) Distributed with vim-common
>
> So is there a guideline I missed?
> Is it for the packager to decide?
> It's good to have at least some 'best practice' note about this.

When I recently packaged vim-perl-support, the closest I could find to
a 'best practice' was to follow what was done for vim-vimoutliner
package.  Basically, just put any syntax/plugin/detect/whatever files
into the appropriate subdirectories of /usr/share/vim/vimfiles -
definitely not into /usr/share/vim/vim71, though as this would create
an unnecessary dependency on a particular vim version.

For a syntax file supplied as part of a larger package, I certainly
like the idea of making it a subpackage. And requiring vim when
installing something under /usr/share/vim would be necessary to get
correct directory ownership.

Anything installed under /usr/share{/doc,}/packagename won't be
automatically picked up by vim, so unless you happen to spot that it
got installed, you'd never take advantage of it.

--
Iain.