Re: emacs fan help with packaging .el

2009/1/4 Thomas Moschny <thomas moschny gmail com>:
> 2009/1/4 Jonathan Underwood <jonathan underwood gmail com>:
>> Another aside: Other the past few months I've noticed that many
>> packages don't create a separate emacs-foo subpackage but rather use a
>> trick with %triggerin to drop elisp files into place when emacs is
>> installed. I also think this should be discussed and documented in the
>> packaging guidelines as an alternative when a package only has 1 or 2
>> elisp files.
>
> Couldn't this be a general mechanism to be used also for vim
> syntaxfiles, shell completion rules, etc, etc... ?

yup... there's already examples of this. What I'm not too clear on is
whether triggers are really a good idea. I have vague memories that
the use of triggers was discouraged in fedora, but I don't recall why
- perhaps because using triggers makes things a bit less
deterministic. Perhaps I missremember.