Re: Atlas and lapack provide the same library..compiled differently... is that a problem?

2009/1/4 Kevin Kofler <kevin kofler chello at>:
> Jonathan Underwood wrote:
>> The Atlas webpage suggests that the atlas lapack library does not have
>> complete coverage of all functions in the original Lapack - is that
>> not the case?
>
> To be honest, I don't know for sure.
>
> What I do know is that some stuff I built against the original Lapack picked
> up ATLAS automatically when I installed it and worked fine against it.
>
> But this is in no way a complete regression test.

Poking about with nm on the two different liblapack.so.3 files shows
they contain substantially different symbols, so I'd be surprised if
they were abi compatible.

Note also that building against lapack means that you package
installation may pull in atlas to satisfy the blas requirement of
lapack. Or it may pull in the blas package (a subpackage of lapack
which has a different blas implementation).