sound problems

Paulo Cavalcanti promac at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 10:49:45 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 6:24 AM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

> Axel Thimm wrote:
>

>> Incompatible to what? If there are conflicts between ATrpms' packages
>> and others from the N thousand official packages, please report
>> them and we'll fix them.
>>

> You could simply run a script and just not duplicate packages already in
> the official repo. In a quick glance, I can spot pdfmerge, xine-lib and
> several others, some of which are not deps of anything else. So it is just
> unnecessary extra work.

Rahul,

if my memory is not failing, some packages appeared first in ATrpms
than if Fedora (livna/rpmfusion): xvidcap, xzgv, xv, etc. I am not
discussing
if these packages are useful or not. The fedora version of xzgv was never
able
to display the thumbnails correctly, for instance. Why? Because it has to be
compiled with
gcc3.

But the only reason for the existence of a 3rd party repo is a multimedia
package.
Almost all of them are based on ffmpeg, which is obtained from svn.
Therefore,
it is very difficult to have compatible packages, since ffmpeg API changes
very often.

Because of that, packages like, vlc, mplayer and xine, must get all of their
dependencies from the same repo. As a matter of fact, Fedora supplies a
chopped version of xine, and the other repos try to "fill the gaps".  They
accomplish this by creating packages, such as,
xine-lib-moles, xine-lib-extras-nonfree, xine-lib-extras-freeworld, etc.

In xine particular case,  it is much easier to compile it as a whole, than
wasting hours
trying to see what is missing. Again, I understand the license issue, but it
would be much more
appropriate if Fedora did not supply it at all (I think a gstreamer solution
only would be preferable).
But this is my opinion only.

Returning to the sound problem, the snapshots come from here:

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tiwai/snapshot/

As you can see, there is also an alsa-driver-unstable-snapshot. The stable
snapshot
have already been committed to the kernel tree. As a consequence, it should
not bring
any headache. I am running it on several computers that stay on 24/7. Of
course,
they work for my codecs (basically, snd-hda-intel/sigmatel), wich are the
ones I can test.
I have learned enough to remap the connections, and fix a few misplaced pins
I still have,
but this is not the case.

The only thing I cannot put up with is discrimination. For several years I
have seen
some people, in Fedora lists, execrating Axel. However, the thing came to a
point
that I can not stand anymore. When the subject changes from technical to
personal,
there is nothing else to be said.

This type of behavior, when tolerated,  works as "low (level) pass filter",
and implies,
 by omission, in a consent of the community. As a writer (Nelson Rodrigues),
I like much,
used to say, "all unanimity is stupid".

I do not think I am on the dark side of the force, but, from this day on, I
will avoid posting to any Fedora list.

Finally, I have met in this list some very nice people: my sponsor, Jon
Ciesla,
Jarrod Wilson, Rex Dieter, and many others. To all of them, many thanks.

A good day for all.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ