Re: Python, distutils, rpmbuild, issues

On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 16:17 -0500, Gerry Reno wrote:
> Ok, rpmbuild went along with this and apparently apt didn't care.  But
> will this work with the final release, 5.0.0?  Can the 5.0.0 rpm
> actually upgrade a 5.0.0_rc2 release?  Remember, the python module
> "distutils" causes the spec file to be generated on the fly.  So does it
> just assume the version will occur in lexical order?

No, this won't work.  5.0.0_rc2 is in fact rpm newer than 5.0.0.

As to your other problem, I haven't even attempted it as the distutils
generated spec file isn't acceptable to Fedora packaging standards,
therefor I just maintain a spec file in my upstream source and have a
'make srpm' target in my makefile to turn the sources into an srpm.  I
also have other makefile targets to call various distutils things and
git things too.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- FreedomĀ² is a feature!