Re: git-* commands in /usr/libexec/git-core/

On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 4:21 AM, Bryn M. Reeves <bmr redhat com> wrote:

> I guess it depends how much we care about being close to upstream for this.
> If it's worth the effort to move these to libexec, then perhaps putting
> compatibility symlinks in place for a couple of releases (with a clear
> relnote that they will be removed in a future release and scripts need
> updating) could be a way to handle the transition?

Adding symlinks does nothing to help, it just delays the pain because
people won't read the release notes or won't bother to fix their
scripts until the symlinks disappear.  Fixing the scripts is trivial,
and backwards compatible to boot.

--
Jeff Ollie

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then
I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the
terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve
them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and
unfairness of the universe."

	-- Marcus to Franklin in Babylon 5: "A Late Delivery from Avalon"