Summary of the 2009-01-06 Packaging Committee meeting

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Wed Jan 7 15:50:14 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 14:37 -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Doug Ledford wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 13:16 -0600, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
>
> >> * Make adherence to the FHS a MUST, with the added exception of
> >>   /usr/<target> for cross toolchains.
> >
> > I happen to have a few packages that just *can't* follow FHS (unless we
> > opt to ignore FHS and allow a package to install to /opt, but that's
> > always been just as verbotten by the FHS for the initial software
> > distributor versus an ISV as failing to follow any other FHS specified
> > layout).
> >
> Example SRPMS?  (Or the package name if it's already in cvs).

The main ones are all MPI implementations.  They need per arch and per
version libraries and runtimes.  OpenMPI is in cvs, but hasn't been
updated to my current layout as used in RHEL.  I tried, for about 5
consecutive releases, to adhere to the FHS with that package.  It just
ended up being more problems than could be solved.  The current version
of the package as shipped in RHEL (and there is an example of it in the
Infiniband link in my sig) puts the entire tree under
%{_libdir}/%{name}/%{version}-%{opt_cc}.  While you can *attempt* to get
OpenMPI to work with a FHS standard layout, the two other main MPIs,
mvapich and mvapich2, flat will not work with a FHS layout at all.  They
*must* be installed under a single directory prefix that doesn't
conflict with any other installations.

It's worth noting here that trying to comply with user's requirements
for MPI packages has resulted in exposing short comings of rpm, yum,
repos, etc. relative to MPI user's needs (this isn't to say yum or the
current repo setup is wrong, simply that it doesn't fit their needs
properly).  Users of MPI packages often times need multiple versions of
the same MPI installed (for example, OpenMPI-1.1 and OpenMPI-1.2, I
recently had to create an openmpi11 compat package for this very reason
since the update mechanism won't allow me to simply stuff openmpi-1.1
and openmpi-1.2 into the channel at the same time, but that's exactly
what I needed).  They also sometimes need MPIs compiled with compilers
other than gcc in order to link/run with their various apps.  Hence the
naming of the directory hierarchy for OpenMPI.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194

Infiniband specific RPMs available at