Re: vim syntax file packaging

Nikolay Vladimirov wrote:
Hi!

I was wondering if there is a proper way of packaging vim syntax
files. When I did ' yum whatprovides \*.vim ' I saw 4 ways of doing this:

1) Add the files to /usr/share/vim/vim71/ftdetect/ and
/usr/share/vim/vim71/ftplugin/. One package even provides a subpackage only for the vim syntax. I think this is done because the
subpackage can require vim. which is reasonable if you install a vim
syntax file. 2) Add them in /usr/share/doc/packagename
3) Add them in /usr/share/packagename
4) Distributed with vim-common

So is there a guideline I missed? Is it for the packager to decide? It's good to have at least some 'best practice' note about this.

Checkout how the syslog-ng package installs it's plugin; it's a big kludgy, but works pretty well.

-Doug